Is Downloading Wrong?  

Posted by Daniel in ,


I’ve been thinking about this for a very long time, and I have finally found a spot for it on my blog.

I think most people, if not everyone, reading this have either “illegally” downloaded a book, movie, video game, music, or numerous other things, or are familiar with the concept. For most people, this is either something they do relatively frequently, if not even an everyday occurrence. I wonder though, as Christians, should we be doing this, or is it breaking the 8th commandment? We are clearly commanded not to steal (Ex 20:15), but is downloading music really stealing? You can make the argument that the laws regarding copyrights and such, are not valid as they are not drafted by Congress, and therefore outside the bounds of our government and null and void. You could also say that the laws prohibit copying for monetary gain, but allow copying if it will be given to friends or other for free. So we may be able to make an argument that legally downloading is completely fine, but what about looking at it from a more personal level. How would we feel if we worked hard on a book, spent a year, and a ton of money on making a movie, or spent a couple years producing a video game, and we are trying to make a living off of it, and someone goes and downloads it? (Sorry for the run on…) Would we be ok with it, or would we want to go and whack them on the head and get our money? I certainly don’t have the answer to the question; I can stand on either side of the fence, though I’m not entirely comfortable on either side.

So I would love to get a good discussion going on this topic. Also would it be ok to do, if I wouldn’t end up spending the money on it no matter what the price?
So to break it up into categories a bit, is it ok to download:
Books?
Movies? (this includes just watching them online, on an “illegitimate” website)
Games?
Music?
TV series?
I can’t really think of any others, though certainly feel free to add some. I’m really looking forward to the discussion.

This entry was posted on Tuesday, April 13, 2010 at Tuesday, April 13, 2010 and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

2 comments

Good questions. I often don't even think about making a copy of something that I've purchased. This is a sticky issue, because you also have the argument that because you bought it, you should be able to make a back up of whatever-it-is for yourself. So, I don't know, but this is something I need to think about. Are you planning to give your perspective? :)

April 29, 2010 at 7:48 PM

I certainly think that if its just as a backup, than its perfectly fine. I just might give my full opinion if multiple other people give theirs :D So work on people... :-p

April 29, 2010 at 8:20 PM

Post a Comment